Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Brewday - "BSB 2012"

For my homebrew club's annual meet and collective brew day, I've designed the following Centennial IPA recipe...will let you know how it goes!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Fermentis Safale US-05
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast : Nope
Batch Size (Post Boil): 26L
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 64
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 15 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 @ 68F
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 68F

Ingredients
93.5% Marris Otter (Muntons)
05.0% CaraFoam (Weyermann)
38.7 IBU Centennial @ 60 min
57g Centennial @ 15 min
57g Centennial @ Flame-out

Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
100g Acid Malt, Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt added, Mash pH 5.5
Ca-83/Mg-14/Na-18/Cl-93/S04-133 
 
Mash
Single infusion,  60 minutes (151F)
Mash-out (170F) , double batch sparge, collected ~30L into the boil kettle

2 comments:

  1. BSB 2012 was a rousing success! The event was amazing, the brew day was very laid back, so much so that I didn't really take very good notes.

    I didn't use my own mill and thus my efficiency was a little low, 79% mash efficiency lead to a pre-boil gravity of 1.055. Once boiled, SG came in at 1.064. My strike was a little hot, 154F, I then used some cold sparge water to bring that down but it lowered too much. Somewhere around 145F. Not sure how this will effect the final product but I imagine I will have an extremely fermentable beer. Hopefully the body isn't too thin.

    Some interesting notes from the brew day...
    1) I used hop bags for the first time and they certainly make for easy clean-up not to mention a cleaner final wort.

    2) I chilled the wort to 90F and then sealed the primary and left it over night. Once I returned home, I aerated and pitched my yeast; at this point the wort had dropped to 68F... perfect! I believe I will be using the overnight chill option a fair bit more, it cuts a fair bit of time off my brew day. It also saves a bunch of water.

    3) Having used the hop bags, I didn't see a need to transfer the beer through a racking cane. The entire contents of the boil kettle went into the primary. Again, big time saver. The jury is still out of this method but if the final beer shows no degradation from the technique, I'll be doing this from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gravity tested 1.016 last night. US-05 has attenuated 75% thus far.

    ReplyDelete