Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Brewday - "The Drama"

(My son's nickname)
American IPA (14B)


Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Fermentis Safale S-04
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast : Racked onto cake from previous APA (1.055)
Batch Size (Post Boil): 26L
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 50.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 6.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-10 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 @ 68F
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 68F

Ingredients
92% Canadian 2-Row (OiO)
5.1% CaraMunich I (Weyermann)
2.9% Melanoidin (Weyermann)
41.9 IBU Columbus (40g @ 60 min)
07.3 IBU Cascade (50g @ 10 min)
0.9 IBU Cascade (50g @ 1 min)
50g Cascade  (dry, secondary 12 days)
50g Columbus (dry, secondary 12 days)

Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
Acid Malt, Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt added, pH 5.47
Ca-83/Mg-14/Na-18/Cl-93/S04-133


Anticipated Mash Instructions:
Single infusion,  60 minutes (151F)
Mash-out (170F) , double batch sparge, collected ~30L into the boil kettle

Anticipated Boil Instructions:
Heat wort, once hot break is controlled, add 1 tsp of Gypsum
Hops @ 60 min
Immersion chiller (IC) @ 15 min
Hops @ 10 min
1/2 tablet of Whirfloc @ 5 min
Hops @ 1 min
Flame-out, cool to 70F, rack onto S-04 cake


***Brew Day Update (5/15/2012)***

I was playing around with motorizing my Corona grain mill before brew day, I loosened the crush a touch and dropped my mash efficiency by 2%.  OG ended up being 1.061.  After testing my pre-boil gravity, I decided to lower the initial 60 min hop addition.  I've updated the numbers above accordingly.

I also tried a new method for transferring the wort from boil kettle to primary.  I dumped the entire contents, trub, hops and all through a sanitized strainer.  The results was a slightly better brew house efficiency and a larger volume into the primary.  Wort cooled to 70-75F before dumping to yeast cake.  Wort aerated with a Fizz-X for about 5 minutes. Numbers above have been updated accordingly.

Finally, I forgot my Gypsum boil addition, the final water numbers have been updated accordingly.

***Update June 12, 2012***


I always try to bottle a regular old 6-pack, I use these to test the carbonation.  I admit, I've sampled this brew as soon as two days in the bottle... damn!  Aroma will knock you socks off!  I guess that's what near 4oz of hops will get ya.  I've got to keep my hands off this stuff for another 2 weeks!



5 comments:

  1. Woke up this morning to find krausen making it's way through the bubble air-lock. Yeast is happy. Ambient temps in the fermentation room are 63F. I just use the coldest room in the house, no fancy chamber or anything. The primary's stick on thermometer reads 70F, S-04 is good to 75F so we're ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peak fermentation is now done. Changed out the air-lock last night for a clean unit. Ambient (61F) and fermentation temps are beginning to equalize. The beer was down to 64-66F and dropping so I've move to the back of the basement which is slightly warmer. Would like this to finish at around 66F so that the S04 fully attenuates.

      Delete
    2. The Drama maintained 64-66F through the remaining week. First hydro sample tested an impressive 1.012-1.013. That's 80% attenuation from S-04. This was the yeast's 5th re-pitch.

      The sample is very pleasant. The bitterness is near perfect, hop flavour subtle (could use more), aroma mild but I hope to intensify this with over 2oz of dry-hopping.

      Delete
    3. The Drama was moved to secondary on Friday, May 25th. I racked onto 57g of Cascade and 57g of Columbus.

      Delete
  2. After 12 days on dry hops, beer went into the bottle last night. Carb'ed to 2.4vols, the beer sample tasted incredible!

    ReplyDelete