Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Brewday - "Wheat on Rye"

Notes
My spin on a typical American Wheat beer.  I've added a touch of Rye malt for some spice (hopefully).

This is the first time I've performed a step mash.  It was somewhat difficult given my low tech setup.  Infusing hot water to the thick mash was a real crap shoot but it worked... more or less.  I decided to use a Beta Glucan and Protein rest to assist with lautering.  I suppose I could have just gone with a single infusion and some rice hulls but what's the fun in that!


American Wheat or Rye Beer (6D)
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Fermentis Safale S-04
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast : Nope
Batch Size (Post Boil)26L
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012 (est)
IBU: 24
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 3.5 (est)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 68F

Ingredients
60.0% Canadian 2-Row (OiO)
30.0% Canadian Malted Wheat (OiO)
10.0% Rye Malt (Weyermann)
24.0 IBU Warrior (16g @ 60 min)


Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
Acid Malt, Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt added, pH 5.50
Ca-74/Mg-14/Na-18/Cl-97/S04-107


Mash Instructions
Step Mash, 20 minutes (110F), 1qt/lb - Thick Mash
Infuse hot water and bring mash to conversion temp, 60 minutes (150F)
Double batch sparge (170F), collected ~30L into the boil kettle



*** Update June 12, 2012***
10 days since pitching a fresh packet of S-04, hydro sample reads 1.016.  If complete, that's definitely on the low end of the yeasts projected attenuation (70.4%).  Will measure a second time later in the week and if it reads the same, into the bottle.  Sample was pleasant albeit slightly sweeter than desired.    I mashed low (150F) so I am surprised I didn't get a more fermentable beer?  Perhaps something to do with my stepped mash?  Oh well, live and learn I suppose, beer still tastes great!  Will go single infusion with rice hulls next time.

7 comments:

  1. I ended up with a 3-step mash. Beta Glucan, Protein and then a sacc. Started with a super thick mash, ended with a decent consistency, not sure what the exact qt/lb was.

    During the first run-off, it got stuck. Had to close the valve, add some hot sparge water, stir and vorlauf. After that it was smooth sailing.

    Collect about 30L at a pre-boil gravity around 1.044. I am aiming for a post boil around 1.050 so we're on track. Will boil tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boiled wort this morning, single Warrior addition @ 60 minutes.

    Chilled to 80'ish and then into a sanitized pail and down to the cold room to finish cooling off. Will check the temps tonight before bed and pitch once we're below 68F. Will take gravity reading tonight as well.

    Kept some spent grain and will see if I can incorporate into a pizza dough recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going with this pizza dough recipe:
    http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/recipe-spent-grain-pizza-dough/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pitched yeast last night around 10:20pm. The wort had cooled to 67F. I needed to split the batch between two carboys, I had too much wort for one 23L carboy. So right now I have 14L in each and split the yeast packet between the two.

    OG tested 1.054! I guess the protein and beta glucan rests worked better than I anticipated, that's a 86% extraction efficiency. Thankfully I ended up using 18g of warrior instead of 16 which helped keep the OG:BU in check... around 0.5. Will update the main post with some pictures and chart once I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Full Krausen last night :) S04 seems oddly happy in a wheat beer. Should everything go to plan, this will be into the bottles come Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krausen has fallen. Two carboys combined. Cake left behind in empty carboy was used for American Red.

    ReplyDelete