Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tasting - "Wheat on Rye"

(Trying out a new format for my tasting posts...)

Brewday Post and Recipe
Wheat on Rye


Appearance

While the brew had a certain amount of cloudiness which would be normally associated with Wheat beers, I believe in my case, the cloudiness had less to do with protein haze and more to do with chill haze.  Either way, there is a certain amount of cloudiness but no where near what you would see in say a Hoegaarden.  I used S-04 which is known for it's strong flocculation characteristics.  Colour is pleasant, a light straw-golden colour.  Head retention is excellent, very white.

Aroma

Nothing really.  No yeast aromatics, no hop aroma.  Perhaps a touch of hay from the malts but that's it.  The Rye malt doesn't show up much either.

Taste

Light, crisp.  Some graininess from the wheat.  Moderate carbonation.  Slight spice (Rye?) with predominate fruitiness (S04 yeast). 

Overall Impressions

I think I got the body right but the yeast is all wrong.  Could have been drier.  An enjoyable beverage but complete out of style. The first few bottles were very green, apples galore!  After 5 weeks + these flavours began to mellow, malt coming through.  My first attempt at a wheat beer, I'm pleased with the result but there's definitely room to improve.  




No comments:

Post a Comment