Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tasting - "BSB2012", 100% Centennial IPA


Brewday Post and Recipe
BSB2012, 100% Centennial IPA

Appearance

Darker than my typical pale ales, likely due to the Maris Otter base malt.  Pours with a medium, one finger width of head.  Small amount remains after sitting for 10 minutes, lasing apparent.  Chill haze significant.   

Aroma

Hoppy.  Similar to my experience with Cascade, perhaps a touch more pungent.  Nice and inviting.

Taste

Nicely balanced American IPA.  I was concerned the IBU's may have been too high given the simplicity of the grain bill, not so.  The Centennials provide a nice sharpness up front but this gives way to a grapefruity hop flavour.  I would say the hops are quite one dimensional but this would be stating the obvious since I only used one hop!  The ale does have a very nice malt backbone.  The 5% carafoam does a nice job rounding our the body. 

Overall Impressions

Very pleased with the results.  The chill haze does take away from the appearance, the few I had at cellar temperature were very nice looking.  The aroma and flavour are really nice, too bad Centennial hops are so hard to come by, would be on my regular rotation for sure.  Body on this brew was stouty, likely on account of the carafoam.  Interestingly, my BMC drinking friends also enjoyed this IPA.  The Centennials offer a more mellow bittering when compared to Columbus for example.

After a few weekends of camping, I've burnt though the entire batch, hopefully there is a picture on the digital camera that I can upload for you...


No comments:

Post a Comment