Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Favorites - "Centennial Blonde"

Blonde Ale (6B)


Notes
A very popular Blonde Ale recipe created by BierMuncher from Homebrewtalk.com.  There is actually a thread which is totaling the amount of Centennial Blonde brewed to-date.  Last I checked, it was into the thousands of gallons!

Light, crisp and very well balanced.  A beautiful summer beer!
Homebrewtalk.com - Centennial Blonde Discussion

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Fermentis Safale S-04
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast : Pitched onto a S-04 yeast cake
Batch Size (Post Boil): 26L
Original Gravity: 1.041
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 20.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 3.2 (est.)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 64-70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 64F
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 68F

Ingredients
80.0% Canadian 2-Row (OiO)
08.6% CaraFoam (Weyermann)
05.7% CaraHell (Weyermann)
05.7% Vienna (Weyermann)
9.3 IBU Centennial (11.1% AA), @ 55 min
8g Centennial (11.1% AA), @ 35 min
8g Cascade (11.1% AA), @ 20 min
8g Cascade (11.1% AA), @ 5 min

Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt added

Mash
Single infusion,  60 minutes (150F)
Mash-out (170F) , double batch sparge, collected ~30L into the boil kettle

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very tasty brew.
    I checked out the link you provided. I think that thread is now 200+ pages long. Explains why Centennial is so hard to find now!

    I was going to brew some more SMaSH brews tomorrow. Now I'm trying to decide whether or not I should stray from my schedule and try this one out.

    Damn you and the delicious brews that you are posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good SMaSH and they're excellent for fine tuning your craft.

      I've been using a very basic grain bill, I suppose you could call it a house recipe. Base 2-row with crystal 40 and some toasted malt. Melanoidin/Victory/Biscuit... take your pick.

      I have been playing around with the crystal percentages but normally it's somewhere in the area of 8%. I increase or decrease the total weights based on the style I'm brewing. More for an IPA, less for an APA.

      The star of my hop bills recently have been good old Cascade, man I love that stuff! I accent the Cascades with some Columbus, Cent or Amarillo.

      On my next grain order I may grab a sack of MO and go back to doing some SMaSH's myself. Thanks for checking in!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to attempt this in about 2 weeks time (I've got an evening opening up where I can brew).
    Looking at what malts I can get my hands on, I don't think that I will be able to get carahell/Crystal 10, but I should be able to get carared/crystal 20.

    I don't think that it will make that much of a difference (my calculations indicate that the color will go from 4.5 to 5). Might get a bit more caramel flavor to it, but likely not much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll enjoy it! 20L shouldn't be so bad. Good luck

    ReplyDelete