Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Brewday - "Yeast/Salt Test"

Notes
Essentially the same recipe (modified hop schedule) as "Little Devil" albeit with some significant yeast and miscellaneous ingredient changes.  An attempt to go back to basics, I rely completely on the addition of Acid malt for mash pH adjustment.  I used EZWater calculator to decide on the amount of Acid Malt, 90grams accordingly to the spreadsheet.  I am re-pitching the US05 from my Centennial BSB2012 IPA.  This is the third time I've brewed this basic recipe.  Each time I've used a different yeast with a slightly different hopping schedule.  Interested in seeing how this one turns out.

American Pale Ale (10A)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast : Re-pitch
Batch Size (Post Boil)26L
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.011 (est)
IBU: 35.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 5.4 (est)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 65-68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 @ 65-68F
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21'ish @ 65-68F

Ingredients
89.0% Canadian Two-row (OiO)
05.0% CaraFoam (Weyermann)
04.0% CaraMunich I (Weyermann)
02.0% Melanoidin (Weyermann)
24.8 IBU Warrior (17g @ 60 min)
17g Cascade @ 20 min
17g Amarillo @ 10 min
17g Cascade @ 0 min
17g Amarillo @ 0 min

Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
Acid Malt added, pH 5.49
City of Ottawa tap water (Campden treated)

Mash Instructions
Single Infusion, 60 minutes (153F), 1.25qt/lb
Double batch sparge, collected ~27.6L into the boil kettle

23/06/2012 - Recipe brewed

24/06/2012 - Yeast pitched, wort aerated

10/07/2012 - Racked to secondary

01/08/2012 - Bottled

2 comments:

  1. How do you find the batch sparging?
    I always fly sparge, but am curious to try batch sparging to see if I can get a fuller body to my beer. I've tried it once or twice a while back, but other things got in the way of me being able to tell the difference...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works. With my corona mill and a slightly finer crush, I'm routinely hitting 80% extraction efficiency I am limited to batch sparging given my choice of MLT design. With a single SS braid, I would most certainly have some channeling issues should I ever decide to fly-sparge. Plus I get to use my power drill and paint mixing paddle three times during the mash process :)

    I have nothing to compare to, I cannot tell you if my batch sparge beers have a fuller body but I can say it's easy, slightly less time consuming and unless you've got some auto-rig for your fly system, I can do other brewing related tasks during the sparge. My system and process is fairly dialed in, milled grain to final cleanup in under 4.5hrs.

    Don Osborn did some neat experiment with no sparge brewing. Conclusion was an improved final product on low gravity beers with minimal to no loss in extraction efficiency. I wouldn't do this with an IPA but a Mild would be perfect.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_W7e7RXxXA

    ReplyDelete