Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Brewday - "Little Devil"

Notes
Named after my second son, this is the second time I've brew this recipe.  Based on the awesome Amarillo hop, the goal is a hop forward ale without the sharp bite of an IPA.

For round 2, I've made some minor tweaks.  I changed up the hop schedule a touch.  Increasing the initial 60 minute charge, I deleted the previous incarnation's 30 minute addition.  Late hops have been simplified additions at 10 and 0.   I am undecided whether or not to dry-hop, I did in the v1 recipe.  I suppose it will depend on the availability of a carboy...  I am brewing at capacity for the timing being.

I will also be using a different yeast.  The previous version was pitched onto a S-04 yeast cake.  I do not have much experience with Danstar Nottingham yeast.  I understand it to be a neutral yeast with wide a temperature range.  Attenuating on the high side (75%+), it's appropriate for American Ales.  I harvested this yeast from a friends completed Festa Brew kit.

American Pale Ale (10A)
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast : Nope
Batch Size (Post Boil)24L
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011 (est)
IBU: 35.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (est)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 65-68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 @ 65-68F
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21'ish @ 65-68F

Ingredients
89.0% Canadian Two-row (OiO)
05.0% CaraFoam (Weyermann)
04.0% CaraMunich I (Weyermann)
02.0% Melanoidin (Weyermann)
26.1 IBU Amarillo (27g @ 60 min)
28g Amarillo @ 10 min
28g Amarillo @ 0 min
28g Cascade @ 0 min

Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt added, pH 5.50
Ca-93/Mg-15/Na-18/Cl-105/S04-147

Mash Instructions
Single Infusion, 60 minutes (152F), 1.25qt/lb
Double batch sparge, collected ~27.6L into the boil kettle

1 comment: