Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tasting - Throwdown APA

Appearance

Throwdown APA
Pours from the tap with a deep orange hue.  The head is whipped and fluffy.  There is a slight haze with is likely attributed to the dry hopping, it should diminish with further cold conditioning.  I have my keg fridge set to ~5c with the pressure regulator set at 12psi.  I normally disconnect the gas once the desired carbonation has been reached.  Carbonation is on the lower side for an APA, maybe 2.2 vols.

Aroma

Citrus with some Amarillo dank.  Centennial is present but takes a back seat to the Amarillo which dominates the aromatics.  2oz per 5 gallons @ 7 days does a nice job.

Taste

Nicely attenuated,  Finishes somewhat dry.  A firm bitterness stands up to the caramel sweetness thanks in part to the moderate amount of CaraMunich III.  Nice and hoppy.  Malts provide backbone but citrus hops once again dominate.

Drinkability

Very sessionable!  Easy drinking, very aromatic and flavourful.  Could use a touch less caramel malt sweetness.  Next time will experiment with using wheat malt rather than CaraFoam which might provide more of a dry graininess. 8/10!

Update May 15th

The APA did not fair well at the Throwdown.  Was dinged heavily for oxidation and some acetaldehyde.  I was very surprised as I didn't pick these up at all!  Funny enough, in a blind tasting of 11 beers, I selected my own 3rd place overall...  unfortunately I was the only one LOL.  Somethings to work on for next time...  looking forward to trying one of these little competitions again.

No comments:

Post a Comment