Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Volume Measurements - They are Important

Got together with a few gents yesterday and whipped up a batch of IPA.  Columbus, Centennial and Cascade took center stage.  The beer was suppose to clock in at 1.067 with a IBU rating of about 60.  Turns out, I collected too much and boiled too little, I ended with a gravity of 1.058-1.059.  Not sure what this has done to me hop utilization numbers but I imagine the end result will be a touch more bitter than intended.  My brew software puts me at 63 IBU or a BU:GU of 1.06

During my original calculations, I anticipated a 85% mash efficiency and a pre-boil volume of 31L.  I  actually collected between 32-33L, (my 34L boil kettle was full!) and the mash extraction efficiency was slightly lower, 81%.   In regards to the lower mash efficiency, I used a different base malt which had a slightly lower extraction (36 ppg vs 37 ppg) which alone may have accounted for a 1- 2pt loss on my final gravity numbers.









No comments:

Post a Comment