Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Hops 2013

2013 Hop growing season updates


April 23rd

After a poor showing in 2012, I've decided to remove the 1st year hops from my folks backyard and transplant to my own yard where they will see a notable improvement in sun exposure.  While the soil conditions across town are stellar, competing vegetation was choking out much of the sunlight.  There was also a drought last summer which didn't help.  Having the hops in my own backyard will allow me to pay closer attention to their development.

I removed the Mt. Hood, Centennial and Nugget crowns.  After digging out all three, I was amazed at the root structure!  Considerable growth, way more than I anticipated.  I did my best to minimize the root damage although I did end up severing some of the roots because they where much too long.  All three crowns were placed in a Ziploc bags with a piece of moist paper towel.  The hops where then placed in the fridge to await planting.

April 28th

Having space for only two hops, I gave away my Mt. Hood.  The Centennial and Nugget were each given a new home in my yard.  I dug two holes, each 20" in diameter and perhaps 12" deep.  I sprinkled a tsp of Bone meal into each hole and then combined  mushroom compost with the native soil before planting each crown approximately 4-5" below the surface.  Each crown had already begun to send up shoots while still at my parents yard.  When planting I tried to bury the crowns just deep enough so the shoots wouldn't have far to break the surface again.

I have heavy clay conditions in my neck of the woods although drainage against my house is better than other areas of the yard due to the back fill our home builder used after setting the concrete foundation.  This is where the hops where planted.  I used mushroom compost because I read it's a good amendment for clay soils.  In this location they will see some early morning shade followed by a complete day of southerly exposure.

April 30th

Each morning I've been watering the hops.  Each hop receiving ~ 750ml of water.  The Centennial shoots have broken ground.

May 2nd

Nugget shoots have broken ground.  Centennial shoots are 3" in length.  Will need to figure out my twine/string solution this coming weekend, these guys are ready to climb!  Pictures to follow.

May 4th


Centennial - May 4
Nugget - May 4










May 10th

Installed strings

May 11th

First application of Miracle Gro.  1.5 Tbsp dissolved in 6L, 3L added to each plant.


Centennial May 11th






Nugget May 11th
Strings up!



















 

Update May 19th

2nd application of Miracle Grow (24-8-16).  I've reduced the watering over the past week due to some rain plus growing concerns that I may be over-watering.  I only watered three times including the application of fertilizer today.

Yesterday I began to notice some yellowing on the tips and edges of a few leaves.  This is on both the Nugget as well as the Centennial.  I hope it doesn't get worse.


 
Centennial, yellow edge




Nugget, brown and yellow edge










Nugget, brown tip










Update June 2nd

Brown edges in previous photos was identified as possible frost damage which makes sense as we did see some late season frost in my growing area.  Here are some new pics from today...

Exciting stuff!  First sight of side shoots!














About two feet until we reach the top!
















Update June 12th


Now what?




















Found a bunch of these insects















Garden overflowing!















Update June 17th


Over grown line



































Head on Nugget bine caught in gutter and broke :(















Update June 26th











































Update July 30th


Nugget Cones!
















Update August 8th



Centennial Cones blooming




Nugget




Nugget




Harvest test




Nugget almost ready

No comments:

Post a Comment